Monday, June 12, 2017

First Few Days in A Coruna - Addy Style

Hello there, this is Addy. You can tell it’s me because I am an awful writer. Especially compared to my dear friend Lauren who I swear has an impossible amount of talents. Also, compared to Victoria, because I try speaking Spanish somewhere in here and it truly make 0 sense. I also try to make too many jokes, which people tell me they don’t find funny, but I also don’t really care. I would not be writing this, but Lauren keeps yelling at me and she scares me, so here I am. Soooo yeah, I’ll just start with my update from A Coruña! Well I’ll just start with a story, and as my family tells me all of my stories are shaggy dog stories (they go on forever) so bare with me here:

We were on the train to A Coruña. Things were going swimmingly, as we had managed to not lose our luggage, make all of our trains, and not kill Lauren with dairy or potatoes, in our first couple of days abroad. That is what I would call a win! We were on the train and I was talking to Nicole, the program director, about what to do when we got to the train station at A Coruña. She proceeded to tell me that Lauren and Victoria would be shown their apartments by Soraida (another program leader) and I was to take a taxi alone to my apartment downtown. Talk about separation anxiety man. I was in the taxi waving goodbye to my two best friends and honestly it felt like a very sad Hollywood scene. I even had some background music playing in my head, like a sad flute solo or something. Yo no sé. Pero es muy triste. Anyway, I get to my apartment where Nicole is waiting for me, and she started speaking only Spanish to me. I believe it was in that moment when the realization hit me like a train: I was/am truly terrible at Spanish. I don’t think I’ve paid attention in a Spanish class since I started Spanish I in 7th grade. But oh well! Maybe my flatmates would have a couple words of advice. Honestly they probably did! But unfortunamente (I’m 40% sure this is a word and 20% sure this is how you spell it), they only spoke Spanish to me as well. Sooo the first day I spent nodding my head and answering sí to questions that were not yes/no questions. It was truly a good time. Quite the adventure! Or aventura as they call it here….maybe? Then, Victoria and Lauren came all the way to my apartment for dinner (true heroes), we ate, then went our separate ways to our apartments.

And here we are! One day later! Still just as lost but I’m slowly getting better at BS-ing my way through conversations. Today we wandered around the town for awhile and even went to the beach! Though I made the mistake of following Lauren to the shore line and turned out we were in the middle of the freaking ocean because a wave came and pretty much brought water up to my knees. As I was wearing jeans. I’m a true disaster.

Tomorrow we start school, which Lauren and I are super excited for because we truly need class to survive. I bet I’ll never say that again!

Anywho, it’s been a blast. I apologize for my terrible writing skills and even more terrible storytelling skills. You will hear from me again when Lauren yells at me again. But for now, ¡Adios amigos!


P.S: Here are pictures of my already messy room. I know, impressive right?





1 comment:

  1. Good for you!! The only way to improve on a language is to have to survive in that language, so frankly, I am very proud of you. Just keep talking, and you'll get friendly corrections, lots of laughs, misunderstandings, and in the end you will be so much further down the road on being a Spanish speaker. You go girl...er, chica!!!!!

    ReplyDelete